Friday, July 8, 2016

Olim, Once Upon a Time in Latin: Reader I & Workbook I (Laurelwood Books Review)


Latin {Laurelwood Books Review}
Disclosure: I received a complimentary Olim, Once upon a Time in Latin, Reader I and Workbook I from Laurelwood Books through Schoolhouse Review Crew in exchange for a honest review. 

We love fairy tales and Latin so we were so excited to receive Olim, Once upon a Time in Latin, Reader I and Workbook I from Laurelwood Books. There is no previous Latin experience needed, and both the Reader and the Workbook have fun illustrations to help the children understand the meaning of the story. Laurelwood Books uses fables, parables, and stories from the Bible.  The Olim, Once upon a Time in Latin is a series that includes six levels that include readers and workbooks. The suggested grade ranges for these six levels is second grade through fifth grade.  Some of my fellow crew members reviewed other levels, but my sons and I reviewed Reader Level I and Workbook I.  Our Reader and Workbook included the stories of The Three Little Pigs, The Tortoise and the Hare, and The Crow and the Pitcher. The stories in the Reader are in both English and Latin. There is also a sidebar that that helps the children understand the meaning behind the words. The Reader can also be used by many students.

 
Latin and Penmanship {Laurelwood Books  Review}


The Workbook is intended to be used by one student. It has many different exercises that help the child learn the Latin words better. The child has the option to do the regular exercises, a section called "Digging Deeper," for those students who want to go more in depth of the story, and also a "Digging for Treasure" section that has your child have a little adventure while reading the story. There is also an Answer Key in the back of the Workbook, and a Note to the Teacher in the front of the book. This Workbook is incredible, as it has you understand the root words and where they originated from. It also has your child learn grammar such as verbs, perfect and imperfect past tense, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions and negatives just to name a few.
 
Olim, Once Upon a Time, In Latin Workbook I
 
My sons and I enjoyed reading the stories in English first. At the beginning of the Reader and the Workbook are instructions on how to pronounce Latin correctly, and also a list of Roman Numerals. I enjoyed that the boys were already familiar with two of the stories (The Three Little Pigs and The Tortoise and the Hare), and how we were introduced to a new story, The Crow and the Pitcher. In the Reader, you read about one page in Latin and then do the first exercise. There is also a Vocabulary list on both sides of the pages that translates the Latin to English. I thought doing one page at a time was such a terrific idea because it didn't become overwhelming. My boys and I had so much fun trying to speak Latin correctly. There is also a key that shows the adjectives and direct objects in the story. 
 
Olim, Once Upon a Time, In Latin Reader I
 
My sons are always going around trying to say things that sound like a different language. Then they ask me, "Mommy, what did I just say? Did it mean anything?" I was so excited to be able to review this amazing Latin curriculum, because now they are walking around saying things in Latin! I believe the second to fifth grade recommendation is very accurate. Some of this was tough for my oldest, who will be a second grader this year. My youngest mostly enjoyed listening to the stories, and seeing what his brother was doing for the exercises. They both really enjoyed the stories and the illustrations, and it was comical trying to hear us speak Latin. Practice makes perfect though, right? 
 
Olim, Once Upon a Time, In Latin Workbook I

If you are looking for a way to introduce and teach Latin to your children, I would highly recommend Olim, Once upon a Time in Latin from Laurelwood Books. It was fun getting to know where many of our words originated from, and that it had items covered for grammar in English as well. There could even be a math lesson with the Roman Numerals. I wish learning a foreign language in high school had been this fun! This is an outstanding homeschool product, and something that I think would be enjoyed as a family study also.    

Olim, Once Upon a Time, In Latin Reader I

To learn more about this company, please visit Laurelwood Books or visit them on their Facebook page below. 


Latin and Penmanship {Laurelwood Books  Review}

Facebook

Laurelwood Books is offering a discount code for 20% off! The code, blogger121 is good until August 15, 2016.

Crew Disclaimer

Blessings,

Kelly

Latin and Penmanship {Laurelwood Books  Review}

#hsreviews #statehistory #penmanship #latinreaders

10 comments:

  1. Neat! You always get such great products to review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mother of 3! This one was so cool. It is such a great idea to combine well loved stories and have it translated into a different language to learn. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. more great books to read. Thank you :) et happy #OMHGWW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Indah! It is awesome co-hosting with your at #OMHGWW! Hope you have a wonderful weekend and thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. Nice review. This reader sounds like it is packed with fun and learning. Thank you for sharing on Family Joy Blog Link-Up Party. Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ava's Alphabet and thanks for stopping by from Family Joy Blog Link-Up Party! My boys and I had much fun with this product as we tried to speak Latin! Thanks for commenting and hope you are having a great week as well :)

      Delete
  4. That's awesome that this helps kids learn latin. I didn't take latin in school but i'm sure it is really interesting to learn. Thanks for sharing on #OMHGWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michelle and thanks for stopping by from #OMHGWW! It was fun being able to understand the root words and where some of our words come from. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  5. Great to see a family having this much fun with Latin! Thanks for sharing at the #LMMLinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Leslie and thanks for hosting #LMMLinkup! We really did! This was a fun foreign language curriculum to review. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete