Friday, May 20, 2016

Memoria Press (D'Aulaires' Greek Myths Review)


Logic, Greek Myths and Astronomy Memoria Press Review

Disclosure:  I was given a complimentary copy of D'Aulaires' Greek Myths from Memoria Press 
through Schoolhouse Review Crew in exchange for an honest review.

Memoria Press is one of my most favorite vendors so I was thrilled that my sons wanted to begin D'Aulaires' Greek Myths.  This set includes the Book of Greek Myths, a Student Guide, a Teacher Guide and Flashcards. It is intended for grades 3-6, and there are a total of 30 lessons included. Each of these classical lessons teaches about the character of the Greek gods, and has your child learn vocabulary, facts to know, answer comprehension questions, geography, and also has an activities section and picture review.


Memoria Press D'Aulaires' Greek Myths


The D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths has gorgeous, colorful illustrations and rich stories that are fun and exciting to read. Much of the Western world has been shaped by beliefs of Greek culture, from art, poetry, literature, architecture, music science, math, and even some laws and ideas on government. It is explained in the Teacher's Guide, that the Greeks imaged their gods after man.  Each of the ancient cultures, except the Hebrews had their own mythology. The chapters are a few short pages, so it does a wonderful job of explaining the story but keeps it short enough to keep the attention span of the child. 

Memoria Press D'Aulaires' Greek Myths

Each chapter is one lesson, and has a review lesson after every five chapters. The Teacher Guide and Student Guide include the questions and corresponding page numbers to reference in the D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths.  They also come with Pronunciation Guide, Greek Myths list, Maps, and 100 Questions for Greek Mythology in the back of the guide. There are also tests and exams included, with the answers of course only printed in the Teacher's Guide. There is also reference to scripture and the Bible in the questions in the guides.  The Flashcards have the corresponding chapter it is related to in the book, so all of this makes the lessons very easy to prepare.

Memoria Press D'Aulaires' Greek Myths

Before my sons and I started reading these stories, I had to explain to them what a myth was. I told them that these are stories that are similar to fairy tales, and allow us to better understand a culture. We have been studying ancient Greece, and I thought this would be fun to introduce to them a bit of mythology. As I read the stories to them, I had to omit some sections as I thought it might scare them or be something they weren't ready to understand yet. They had fun playing with the Flashcards, and did quite well in remembering the names and the important facts in the story read. I look forward to them being able to answer the fill in the blank questions when they are a little older, but I read the questions to them and they were able to answer.

I think it's important for us all to understand different cultures and beliefs. It would be easy to just teach our children what we want them to believe, but it is good to give them a background in beliefs that contrast from our own. I think it will help them later on as teenagers and adults in the world, to distinguish right from wrong. There are also similarities of beliefs I found while reading the stories. 

Memoria Press D'Aulaires' Greek Myths

I think these lessons in D'Aulaires' Greek Myths were very well put together, and easy to present for lessons. My sons and I enjoyed the stories behind the Greek gods, and learning more about a different culture. I believe this would be an excellent tool for a classical education, whether in a homeschool setting or possibly a private school classroom. My parents put my siblings and I into private school for one year, and I remember being introduced to subjects like this in the sixth grade. I think it's wonderful to teach children about humanities in early ages and not just wait until they are in high school.  

        
Logic, Greek Myths and Astronomy Memoria Press Review


Crew Disclaimer

Blessings,

Kelly

Logic, Greek Myths and Astronomy Memoria Press Review

#hsreviews #classicaleducation #homeschooling

14 comments:

  1. I've used this with two of my kids now (including the student guide), and this book was the main book I focused on when I wrote my Greek mythology unit study. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome, Shelly! Do you have this unit study available to your readers? I would love to take a look at it. I think we are going to be doing ancient Greece and mythology as our summer unit. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Very cool, Michele! I love that there have been so many people that have had such nice things to say about this book! We're excited to continue our studies in this book in the summer. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  3. We love D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths! Our son went through the Greek myths this past winter and this book was one of his go to's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome, Erin! We have only been through the first few chapters, but I am excited that there has been so many awesome things said about this book! Glad to hear your son enjoyed it as well! Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  4. We're not quite to the mythology point yet, but these look like great resources for when we get there. So glad you joined us again at #FridayFrivolity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa and thanks for hosting #FridayFrivolity! This really is an amazing product to learn about mythology. I like that there is an answer key and student workbook, so you can just relax and enjoy the lessons and stories with your child. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  5. I've enjoyed books by the D'Aulaires because they do such a good job. This one sounds great with the guides and flashcards that come with it. If I still had schoolage children I would probably want to use it. Thanks for sharing with #LMMLinkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gayl and thanks for stopping by from #LMMLinkup! I am excited to hear they have other books! We have really been enjoying this one. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  6. I have similar story books about Greek mythology and my kids adore them. The stories are so interesting indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Indah! The stories really are interesting. My sons thought they were fun once I explained that they were myths. Thanks so much for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  7. My son loves Greek myths. We'll have to check these out. Have you seen the Greek myth poetry book Echo, Echo? You might like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, The Forever Joyful Homeschool! I am glad to hear your son enjoys the Greek myths as well. We haven't heard of this book before, but will definitely check it out now that you told us about it! Thanks so much for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete