Monday, April 11, 2016

Having a Martha Home the Mary Way by: Sarah Mae (Book Review)


Having a Martha Home the Mary Way by: Sarah Mae
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale House Publishers through Tyndale Blog Network in exchange for an honest review.

 Having a Martha Home the Mary Way: 31 Days to a Clean House and Satisfied Soul is a brilliant book that combines having the Mary faith, along with the hard work effort of a Martha.  Each chapter is broken down with a personal story from the author, along with a short scripture and faith related questions to fulfill the Mary aspect of your life, and also a challenge list for Martha duties.  If you were to do a chapter a day, the Mary questions may take you 5-10 minutes, the reading the chapter about that long, and the Martha duties anywhere from 10-45 minutes depending on the duty at hand.

This book came at such an amazing point in my life. I think I am a Martha, and I was thinking to myself I really need to have that Mary faith where I put my Bible time and quiet time with God first.  I am always busy doing things such as cooking and cleaning first, and sometimes my Bible time gets put on the back burner. This book really helped me put things into perspective and allowed me to do both.  The Martha duties to me were easy, and I enjoyed just being able to sit back and enjoy the Mary aspect of being in the Word.

Even though the Martha activities were easy for me, this book also motivated me to do some heavy spring cleaning.   I found 4 bags of trash in my house and we were able to donate 5 trash bags!  I am a very clean person where I vacuum at least once a week and make the beds in the morning, and for the most part our house looks lived in but its clean.  This book also helped to show me that my sons are old enough now to help in the house.  This has been a blessing because it now gives me extra time with them so we can have more fun together!

I would highly recommend this book, whether you are a Mary, Martha or somewhere in between.  There is something in here for everyone.  After reading this book, I now feel better about finding the balance between finding quiet time and Bible time with God, and also making sure I still keep my household clean and full of joy.

Tyndale Blog Network

Blessings,

Kelly

#bookreviews #Christian

   

28 comments:

  1. This book sounds so great. I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing with us on the #LMMLinkup and taking time out to comment today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary and thanks for hosting #LMMLinkup! It truly was a wonderful read and I hope you get a chance to enjoy it also. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  2. Kelly, thanks for your insight on this book! Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ellen! It was such an amazing book. I hope you get a chance to enjoy it as well! Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  3. I'm heading to my Kindle right now to download this book! It sounds wonderful!

    I appreciated so much your review because it gave me real sense about the book. Great job! :-)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool, Karen! I hope you enjoy the book as well! Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  4. Great review Kelly - I'm reading it now and hope to post a review in the near future! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Create With Joy! It was a wonderful book. I hope you are enjoying it as well and I look forward to your review! Thanks for commenting and hope you have an amazing weekend :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this helpful review on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, JES and thanks for hosting the Art of Home-Making Mondays. Hope you have a wonderful week and thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a lovely book! Thanks for sharing with #LMMLinkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Beth! It is a really wonderful book to read if you get a chance to. Thanks for commenting and stopping by from #LMMLinkup! Hope you have an amazing week :)

      Delete
  7. Interesting concept for a book. I'll add it to my Good Reads list. Thanks for sharing on #FridayFrivolity. We'd love to have you share with us again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Audrey and thanks for stopping by from #FridayFrivolity! It is a terrific book. I hope you get a chance to read it! Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a great book. Before I was married with kids I was more of a Mary. Now it's easy for me to be like Martha and like Martha say, "But Lord look at all the work there is to do!" I am daily learning to put God and my quiet time first but also find grace when it doesn't happen as I would like. Like you I am also finding my boys can help out more around the house. Though they have chores they could easily be doing more. Thanks so much for sharing this great review. It sounds like a book I would definitely benefit from !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebekah! I can understand that! It can be hard finding quiet time when we are so busy running a household and homeschooling! This book was awesome at showing me how to find the balance of everything. It is definitely a good read! Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  9. I have never heard of the concept of Mary and Martha before. I feel like I am always trying to find a balance in between, so I will definetly be looking in to this book! Great review and thanks for sharing at Family Joy Blog Link Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura and thanks for stopping by from Family Joy Blog Link Up! Mary and Martha were sisters in the Bible, who both loved God but had very different priorities. Martha was the responsible older sister who wanted to do all the work first, and then have time to relax and enjoy the fun things. Mary was the opposite who had the faith to get her quiet time and fun things done first knowing the work would get done later. This book is awesome at helping us all find that balance! Hope you get a chance to enjoy this book. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  10. I remember when Sarah Mae did monthly challenges with Mary and Martha goals each day. They were great. Thanks for sharing the book with us on #TheCozyReadingSpot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marissa and thanks for hosting #TheCozy#ReadingSpot! She mentions this in the book how she started these challenges and then how it transformed into her book. How cool you got to see the challenges before the book! Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  11. This sounds like an inspiring read, I definitely need to channel my inner Mary and Martha to bring order to our chaotic home. It's one of my goals this year to make our home a "peaceful sanctuary" and I've got a lot of Martha-ing to do to get there. Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday Linkup. Pinning to our linkup board and hope you found some great posts to visit this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Tanya and thanks for hosting Mom's Small Victories! This book is such a wonderful read. It breaks it up day by day, so it doesn't become overwhelming. Thanks so much for pinning and for leaving a comment! Hope you have an amazing week :)

      Delete
  12. I loved reading your thoughts on this book! Thanks for sharing this post at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tina and thank you for hosting Booknificent Thursday! Hope you have a wonderful week and thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  13. I need more of Mary's calmness today. I'm so Martha lately. This seems like a good help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Lux! This book really helped me find a balance. I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks so much for commenting and hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  14. Balance is key. we all have things we simply must do, but if we never spend time with the Lord...loving Him, worshiping Him etc then nothing else really matters. Thanks for sharing - looks like a good book. would be a great baby shower gift for the first time mom.

    @spreadingJOY
    spreading-joy.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Marie! What a great idea to give as a baby shower gift! Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete