Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Christian Heroes - C.S. Lewis (YWAM Publishing Review)


Christian Heroes {YWAM Publishing Review}
Disclosure: I received complimentary products from YWAM Publishing through Schoolhouse Review Crew in exchange for an honest review.

For the last several weeks we've been using a Digital Unit Study focused around the book Christian Heroes - C.S. Lewis from YWAM Publishing.  The book is intended for ages 10 and older and is 189 pages long.  The digital unit study is filled with studies for homeschool, classroom use, and even small groups!  There is a downloadable map of both Europe and United Kingdom included, as well as a fact sheet on the United Kingdom that would make for excellent Social Studies lessons.  There is an introduction describing many wonderful ideas to help setup the unit on this such as knowing key verses and setting up a display area.  The digital unit study is 82 pages full of information and also has six questions assigned for each chapter of the book.  The first three questions are designed for younger students, and the last three questions are more difficult.  These questions go over vocabulary and reading comprehension, and are recommend to answer at the end of each chapter.  The answers are included in the appendix for the first four questions, and the last two are open-ended. 

Christian Heroes- C.S. Lewis

When I was a little girl, I fell in love with the book, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.  I didn't discover C.S. Lewis was a Christian until I was an adult though. Christian Heroes - C.S. Lewis does an outstanding job of taking you through his life, starting from his childhood.  If you have read other Christian Heroes: Then and Now biographies from YWAM Publishing, this one differed slightly in the narrative perspective.  It used an omniscient narrator instead of just from the subject's perspective or point of view. I thought this was an incredible idea because it really read like a story.     
 
Christian Heroes - C.S. Lewis 

  I read the book silently to myself, and then I would summarize each chapter for my sons, as they are still young to sit through a chapter book with no pictures in it.  We found out C.S. Lewis was an atheist at one point in his life, but he ended up writing and teaching extraordinary books and lessons on Christianity.  He had a rough childhood between losing his mother and attending an awful boarding school.  He became educated and would see and serve in two world wars.  His life was filled with ups and downs, but God used in him in such a way that glorified His kingdom.  The boys and I explored the vocabulary questions within the initial first three questions in the digital study guide.  We also looked at the maps and we discussed Ireland, where C.S. Lewis is originally from.  This was fascinating to me, as I am half Irish and it was fun discussing some facts about Ireland. 

This was my first book I read from YWAM Publishing, but it will definitely not be my last.  I thought even though this book is great for a middle school or high school student, I very much enjoyed reading Christian Heroes - C.S. Lewis, and I look forward to reading the other biographies they offer.  I love the flexibility the book and study guides have in that it can be used for classroom use, homeschool or for a small group.  I would very much recommend this book, especially if you are a Narnia fan  like me!       

Find out more about this amazing company on their social medias below:

Christian Heroes {YWAM Publishing Review}



Crew Disclaimer

Blessings,

Kelly

Christian Heroes {YWAM Publishing Review}

#christianheroes #heroesthenandnow #christianbiographies #herobiographies #homeschoolcurriculum #homeschooling #americanhistory #americanhistorycurriculum  #ywampublishing #truebiographies

18 comments:

  1. What a great idea to read the chapter and then summarize for younger children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mother of 3! They started asking where the pictures were, so I thought it might be better to summarize for them. Hope you have a wonderful week, and thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great study. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! We really enjoyed this study. It was so fun getting to know more about C.S. Lewis. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds really interesting! Most of what I know about C.S. Lewis just comes from the Shadowlands film.

    Thanks so much for linking up to #FridayFrivolity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica and thanks for stopping by from #FridayFrivolity! It really is an amazing book and I love how they describe the thought process behind many of his books. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  4. Kelly, I'll definitely be sharing this with my homeschooling son and daughter-in-law. Being familiar with the Narnia books and movies should make it very interesting. Hope you're having a great week-end. Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool, Donna! I hope they enjoy it. It was so wonderful reading up on a beloved author. Thanks for commenting and hope you have an amazing week :)

      Delete
  5. This looks really interesting. C.S. Lewis has always fascinated me. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm a Narnia fan as well :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Candace! It was such an incredible book! I'm so glad to hear you are a Narnia fan as well! Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  6. We love the YWAM Christian Heroes series. We just finished Mary Slessor (missionary to Africa) and are reading about Nate Saint now. Thanks for sharing about the digital resources and thanks for joining us at the #LMMLinkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, The Forever Joyful Homeschool and thanks for hosting #LMMLinkup! This was our first YWAM Publishing book, but I am so excited to read some more! Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  7. This is one of my favorite series ever. I love reading them, and I find all of my school-age children (5-11 right now) will sit and enjoy them with me. Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool, Tina! I can't wait until my sons are ready to sit down and enjoy these as much as I did as a child. Thanks for hosting Booknificient Thursday, and for commenting. Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  8. It is so amazing that we are in the digital age where so much information can be found.

    Thank you for being a Hostess with us each week on #OMHGWW.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Happy Mother's Day!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karren! Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend as well! I love being a part of #OMHGWW! Thanks for doing such an amazing job with this awesome link up party!

      Delete
  9. it will definitely be a good read for you and the kids as well..great co-hosting with you on #OMHGWW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good read, Indah! I'm so glad to be co-hosting with you on #OMHGWW! Hope you have a wonderful week and thanks for commenting :)

      Delete