Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Grapevine Studies (TOS Review)

 Disclosure: I was given a complimentary copy of the ebook curriculum from Grapevine Studies through Schoolhouse Review Crew, in exchange for an honest review.

For the past few weeks we've been using the New Testament Overview Part 1 from Grapevine Studies for our Bible study. I am using New Testament Part 1 Level 1 Birth of John to Jesus' Ministry and Level 1 Traceable, New Testament Beginner and Beginner Traceable, and New Testament Level 2 with my sons.  We were blessed with many different levels to see the differences among the levels, so I am going to discuss how to find the perfect level for your child first and then give you the details on what we learned. 

Birth of John to Jesus' Ministry {Grapevine Studies Review}

Beginner levels and Traceables (which are available for Beginner and Level 1) are intended for children in pre-K to Kindergarten, or age 4 to 5 years old.  I would definitely recommend the Traceable version if you have a child in this age range.  The difference here is that the Beginner area for drawing is left blank for your child to color or draw a picture of their own.  The Beginner Traceable version has the stick figures drawn out already, so all your child has to do is trace and color the figure.  This was perfect for my four year old, who is not quite comfortable drawing his own items yet and would just prefer a picture he can color in.  Beginner versions are also not compatible with Levels 1-4, so if you will be doing these studies with older children also, Level 1 Traceable would be an excellent option because the younger child can work with the older children in this unit.



The Beginner and Beginner Traceable includes 12 lessons including a Section Review halfway through the curriculum, and a Final Review at the end.  There are a few short questions to ask for reading comprehension at the end of each lesson, and also a memory verse.  I very much enjoyed how all the levels we reviewed were age appropriate. 

Birth of John to Jesus' Ministry {Grapevine Studies Review}

New Testament Part 1 Level 1 Birth of John to Jesus' Ministry and Level 1 Traceable is intended for children ages 6-8, or for 1st grade to 2nd grade.  I like that there is an option here for a Traceable for this level also (just in case your child still is not comfortable drawing something free hand yet), but my six year old was more than ready to draw on his own.  We can barely keep enough blank paper in the house because he is drawing everything lately!

Birth of John to Jesus' Ministry {Grapevine Studies Review}

  New Testament Level 2 is intended to be for children ages 8 to 10 years old, or who are in third or fourth grade.  The main difference I saw in between Level 1 and Level 2 is that Level 1 had more drawing room on the pages, and Level 2 was a bit more advanced with more scripture memorization and facts.  Both of these levels included 13 lessons, including a Timeline intro, Section Review halfway through the curriculum, and then a Final Review at the end.  At the end of each lesson, there are questions to answer, facts to learn, and scripture to memorize or write down.

Birth of John to Jesus' Ministry {Grapevine Studies Review}

  I taught my two sons one day with Level 1 and Level 1 Traceable, and had my husband sit in as the Level 2 student so we could see the differences!  We did a timeline for Adam, Noah, Abraham, David, and Jesus.  We also talked about Babylonian Captivity, John the Baptist preaching and how baptized his cousin, Jesus.  We also discussed Jesus being tempted, the 12 apostles, and how Jesus prayed.  Here are the pictures using Level 1 Traceable, Level 1 and Level 2 for New Testament Overview:

 Top sheet is Level 2, middle sheet is Level 1 and bottom sheet is Level 1 Traceable.  Very easy to teach multiple levels at once using Levels 1-4!



Level 3 is for children 10-12 and in grades fifth or sixth, and Level 4 is for 12-14 years old and in seventh or eighth grade.  Now that you know what level is appropriate for your child or children's age range, here is a visual showing the levels and subjects available:

Birth of John to Jesus' Ministry {Grapevine Studies Review} 

My sons wanted to paint one day, and I decided to start our lesson for New Testament Beginner and Beginner Traceable with paint! My four year old traced the stick figures with his paint brush, and my six year old painted the picture free hand below.  We learned an amazing lesson on John the Baptist's parents (Zachariah and Elizabeth) and what led up to his birth.  Each square below represented the boys having to draw or trace what the scripture was about.  I loved being able to read from the Bible, and use the Teacher's Guide from Grapevine Studies to help me walk through the lesson with them.  The fascinating thing is that days later, the boys were both able to repeat the whole story back to me!


How wonderful it is for my boys to draw or trace something while being read scripture, and have them remember it days later!  We worked on these Bible lessons once a week, so it took us about a half hour to go through New Testament Beginner and Beginner Traceable, and about an hour to do the New Testament Part 1 Level 1 Birth of John to Jesus' Ministry and Level 1 Traceable and New Testament Level 2.  It is recommended by Grapevine Studies  if you do the daily lessons, 15 to 20 minutes is ideal or if you are doing this as weekly lessons or as part of a co-op or Sunday School lesson, 55 to 60 minutes is appropriate.

This Bible curriculum is wonderful for children in elementary and middle school grade levels, and I love the flexibility of being able to teach multiple levels at one time.  It is a fun and interactive way of learning scripture and having the information literally "stick" with them as they draw stick figures!  I would highly recommend using this as part of homeschool Biblical lessons, Biblical co-op, or as part of a Sunday School class!  The Teacher Guide books are essential in doing this and leave preparation easy and minimal.  My family and I had an awesome time reviewing the curriculum and using the lessons.  There are many different subjects that are available for study, including one for Easter coming on The Resurrection.     Thanks for stopping by to read my review :)

Birth of John to Jesus' Ministry {Grapevine Studies Review}

Crew Disclaimer

Blessings,

Kelly

Birth of John to Jesus' Ministry {Grapevine Studies Review}

#HSReview #GrapevineStudy #BibleStudy #Resurrection #sponsored

12 comments:

  1. I love that your husband participated as one of your students! :D

    And letting them paint was really outside the box, yet obviously with their retaining it days later, it worked well for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shecki! He is so good; he loves getting involved with homeschool when he can! My sons love to paint and I thought why not try to have them paint the lessons? It was great fun and a terrific learning experience. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  2. Loved the pictures of your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michele! It was wonderful family time spent together having fun and being in the Word. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  3. I've come across these materials before, but it was really great to get the chance to see them being used by someone I "know!" Thanks for linking up with us at #FridayFrivolity and I hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool, Lisa! It's a wonderful Bible curriculum, and I was shocked to see how much my sons could remember just from drawing the stick figures. Thanks for stopping by from #FridayFrivolity and commenting! Hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  4. I admire you for home-schooling, and hope you realize what a gift you have and a blessing you are! Wow! Visiting from the Soul Survival Linkup. Happy Tuesday! Megs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megs! I feel blessed being able to homeschool my sons. Thanks for leaving such a kind comment, and for visiting from Soul Survival! Hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  5. I love Grapevine Studies and have used it with some of the refugees we work with, but I just cannot get my kids on board. We've tried it repeatedly and they do it to be obedient but they just don't like it. It always makes me sad, but it's a good reminder to follow their preferred ways of learning rather than my own! I'm so glad your family loved it, and I too love that your husband participated! What a great guy!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tina and thanks for hosting Booknificent Thursday! I agree with you. I think it's better to have them learn what they want rather than push something on them they don't want to do. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  6. I love the idea for a traceable figure! Sometimes young kids get so frustrated when they're told to "just draw it." Thanks for sharing with our readers at the #LMMLinkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, The Forever Joyful Homeschool and thanks for stopping by from #LMMLinkup! It truly is a great idea. My youngest doesn't like to draw by himself yet, so the traceable sheets worked very well for him. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete