Thursday, May 14, 2015

Pray Without Ceasing

My husband and I were talking this week, and it’s hard to believe we have been married for almost seven years.  We are high school sweethearts who separated in college, but always remained friends.  God brought us together a few years after that and we have had two wonderful little boys together.

Photo credit: Lightstock.com

I think back to when we first were married.  We lived in a tiny studio apartment, which we upgraded to a one bedroom apartment.  It was then we found out we were expecting, so we rented a house.  When our oldest was born, I managed to make it back to work for two days.  On the third day of getting ready for work, mascara running down my face and me a mess, my husband said, “You’re staying home.  I don’t know how we are going to manage but I can’t see you this upset everyday.”  I love him so much that he was able to do this for our family.

God provided for us.  We went from having two cars to one.  I learned to coupon and how to make meals, instead of going out to eat four or five times a week.  My husband ended up making more money than when the two of us were working.  The house we rented ended up not being a great neighborhood to live in, and by the grace of God, we were able to buy our first home in a good neighborhood.  It was a three bedroom townhouse with a garage.  It was here we learned that we were expecting our second child.

At times, money was very tight but we relied and had faith in God.  We were given two healthy boys after two very difficult pregnancies.  I was beyond thankful for everything God had given to us.  After living in our house for five years, God placed a calling on both mine and my husband’s hearts.  We realized it was time to sell our house and move to where we felt like God was leading us.  This was not an easy feat and it took us about eighteen months to sell our house.

Again, God provided.  We were able to sell our house and have just enough money to rent something while we built a brand new house.  We moved twice in six months but in that time, found a church that felt like a second home.  We were surrounded there by people who loved and accepted us immediately.  After almost four years of having no second car, we were able to afford a second vehicle.  Our sons now have a big backyard to play in and so many friends to play with.  We also just got back from our first family vacation.  Our last one was five years ago.

People would have thought we hit the lottery to afford such things but we knew it had all come from God.  When we would run into something that was hard to go through, God was there with us to carry us through.  The harder things got in our lives, the harder we prayed.  We know who is leading our lives and we had faith.

 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 “Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

I love these verses.  It reminds us to always be not only thankful, but also joyful no matter what is going on in our lives.  You may be at a down point in your life, but have faith.  You may not think God is hearing your prayers because He may not have answered the way you wanted him to, or it may seem He may not have answered them at all yet.  I know what it is to wait months and years for an answer. 

We serve a mighty God though.  He sees things for us that we would never imagine or dream.  He makes them a reality for us.  If you are struggling with something, put your faith, hope and prayer into it.  God has such a way of showing us what He wants from us in our lives, and I remain both joyful and thankful for that!

How has God worked in your life to turn struggles into something good? 
 
Blessings,
 
Kelly
 
#inspirational

36 comments:

  1. Thank you for such an inspiring post. I definitely needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! I'm glad that this was helpful to you today. Keep up the prayers and your faith. God always hears them. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  2. What inspiring words.

    Prayer does amazing things. The Lord delivered me from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder... almost a year of therapy couldn't heal me but He did. I think one of my turning points was realizing that I still needed to be joyful in the midst of the pain.

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jennifer and thanks for hosting the #SHINEbloghop! God has such a way of reaching for us when we most need Him, and the beauty of how He can turn bad into good. Thanks for sharing your story and hope you have a lovely weekend as well :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I needed this reminder today to pray without ceasing, especially today as I am going through heartache for each of my adult children, for different reasons.

    And for reminding me that the Lord is good, His mercies are new every morning, He hears my prayers. Sometimes that can get lost in the midst of all the noise of our distress. I'm so glad your post broke through that noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karen. I'm glad as well that this post reached you. It is extremely hard experiencing heartache with people we love and whom we are close, most especially our children. It is in God's timing how everything works out, but it is so glorious how He shows us His love and His plan for our lives in that timing. Blessings to you and thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. Your words made reminded me that I am where I am solely because of God's goodness. The verse from 1 Thessalonians beautifully tells us how to live each day. Thankful for this and that you shared this at The Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary and thanks for visiting from The Weekend Brew. We are all here because of God's goodness, grace and the love He has for each of us. These verses really offered me encouragement and I hope it did the same for you. Thanks so much for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  5. Very encouraging words. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Trish and thank you for your comment. It's wonderful being able to share how God has worked in my life to help encourage others. Hope you have an amazing week :)

      Delete
  6. It was encouraging to see how God provides. He will answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Tammy! He will definitely answer. It's all a matter of His timing and His will in our lives. Thanks for commenting and have a fantastic week :)

      Delete
  7. I am new to religion, and my husband is not. During all of our tough times, he says "Have Faith. God will provide," and I have always struggled with that. Where do you even get faith, I wondered. Each time, though, God has provided. For my birthday this year, I bought myself a woman's bible, and each day, there is a message. One of the messages that stood out to me was that even when we can't find the words, God knows. All we have to do is pray, and He knows. Thank you for this reminder as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica. Having faith is knowing in your heart that God will provide for you, and the belief in Him as Lord and Savior. Religion is an organization where all people share the same beliefs, but that may not necessarily mean all have faith. I was not raised religious either, and my husband was just like yours. It takes time but being in the Bible every day like you are is an awesome way to get to know the Word of God. God is looking for a relationship with us and He knows that by prayer, we can reach out to Him and know that He will provide His will in our lives. Thanks so much for your comment and blessings to you :)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful post and I'm so glad to see all the ways that God has provided for your sweet family! I know He will continue to bless you :) Thanks so much for encouraging me with your words. Thanks for linking up at Together on Tuesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa and thanks for hosting Together on Tuesdays! Thank you for your beautiful comment. I am truly thankful for all the ways He provides for us, and I wish blessings to you and your family as well! Hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  9. What a great testimony to the strength of your faith and following your calling. I had a hard time deciding a couple years ago if I would quit my job and stay at home. I prayed about it and decided to quit. We are very happy now and it's amazing how we can make it work when I was so sure it would be impossible with my expensive medical condition. I thank God everyday for this family and His blessings. Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday linkup. Pinned to our linkup board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tanya and thanks for hosting Small Victories Sunday. Prayer is so powerful and when we answer God's calling He has placed in our hearts, provisions are always made. Thank you for sharing your story on how God has blessed you and your family as well! God is so good! Thank you for pinning and for commenting. Hope you and your family have an awesome Memorial Day weekend :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing the many ways that God has provided for you and your family. It is such a blessing to see God's faithfulness in providing for our needs as we keep our eyes on Him. Continued blessings on your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, hopetoinspireyou! God will always provide, no matter how bleak things may look. Thank you for your beautiful comment and blessings to you and your family as well :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing! Love your commitment to your family. God is faithful in all things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Hope! Thank you for your beautiful comment! Blessings to you and your family :)

      Delete
  12. Oh my, Kelly! My husband and I were high school sweethearts, too. Most of the years have been very hard since I quit work to stay home with our kids and then homeschool back in 1991. The troubles are all worth it. You are a blessed woman!

    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura! That is so wonderful you all are high school sweethearts as well. It's so nice being married to your best friend who truly knows you. Thank you for the encouraging words. I am so very thankful I get to stay home and educate the boys, and see how they learn. You are a blessed woman as well. Thanks for commenting and have an amazing week :)

      Delete
  13. I love stories like this! Reminds me when my son was little and I couldn't get the lawn mower to start - he Naturally said "momma, have you prayed about it?" - he was 5.

    of course, I stopped and we prayed and of course, it started.

    @spreadingJOY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marie! Prayer is definitely powerful. What a wonderful story about your son, thank you for sharing that. Children are amazing. It makes me think about Jesus saying we all need to have childlike faith. Thanks for commenting and hope you have an excellent weekend :)

      Delete
  14. I just left a really long comment but it doesn't seem to be showing. UGH! #bloggercaregroup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Amanda and thanks for stopping by from #bloggercaregroup. Sorry it didn't take the long comment, I will try to look into that. Thanks for commenting and have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  15. Your love story is inspiring.

    I've had my fair share of struggles in the past which God turned into my victory. I look forward to more triumphs with Him.

    Have a wonderful week, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Lux! God always has a way to turn the bad into a victory, even when we can't see it in the moment. Blessings to you my friend and thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  16. Thank you for this beautiful message of God's faithfulness. Sometimes it is easier for me to see that in other people's lives than it is to see in my own. God has truly blessed you These past seven years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sam! It has been many ups and downs, but God has truly blessed me and my family, and I am very thankful for that. I find even through the toughest of times, to remain faithful and know that God has a plan. Thank you for your awesome comment and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  17. I just smiled throughout your whole story! God is so good, isn't He? It's awesome that you're writing everything down- You'll have quite a written testimony to God's faithfulness and you'll be amazed at how many things He's done - especially when you get to be my age ;) and can't believe you've been married 35 years! Hugs and blessings! Keep your JOY! #bloggercaregroup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cindy! That is wonderful, congratulations on the 35 years of marriage! God has truly blessed me and my family in so many areas of our life, so He is very good! I have seen His works in others as well and at times, when you think how can any good come from this and He turns it into the most amazing blessing. Thank you for commenting from #bloggercaregroup and hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs and blessings to you as well :)

      Delete
  18. If it were not for prayer we would not have been able to get through the last year with 3 surgeries, the first quad bypass which was unexpected, but by the Grace of God they found the problem, kept my husband in the hospital after an angiogram and preformed the successful surgery.

    Thank you for your message, we continue to pray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Karren! God is so good. Glad to hear your husband is doing well. Will pray for you all. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete