Friday, July 18, 2014

Prayer in Marriage

Prayer in Marriage
*Photo credit to Lightstock.com*

Matthew 10:27 “What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight. What is whispered in your ear, shout from the rooftops.”

One of the things I realized lately is that my husband and I don’t pray together aloud.  Or at least not as much as we should.  We pray at meal and bed times with our sons, and we have taught them to pray for safe travels when we get in the car.  I feel we do well when we all pray together as a family, but we definitely could use some help in praying aloud together.
 
There is probably a huge list of excuses any of us could come up with as to why this might happen.  We have two children under the age of five, I homeschool, my husband works and is taking online classes, we’re very involved in our church, there doesn’t seem to be enough time…the list could go on and on. 
 
The truth is, I was never taught to pray aloud as a child.  Prayers to me were very private and I spoke softly and quietly to the Lord.  Fast forward a few years and I’m married to the love of my life, who was raised to pray aloud and be unashamed in doing so.  I love that about my husband.  I love how he can grab my hand and pray aloud to our Father in heaven and state what is on his heart.
 
We have so much to be grateful for and I should be shouting from the rooftops my love and gratitude for all the Lord has blessed us with.  I thank God every night before I lay my head down to sleep; I just have been doing it quietly. 
 
Lately, I have been “practicing” praying aloud before my husband comes in to bed.  It is a foreign concept to me to pray aloud, but I realize with more “practice” I am becoming more comfortable.  There is a fear in me that I will pray the wrong way or not say the right words, but I know this is a lie from Satan.  The Lord always wants to hear us exclaim our love for Him.

How do you and your spouse find the time to pray together as a couple?  Is this something that you have had to work on in your marriage also?

I would love any suggestions on how to overcome being shy in praying aloud in front of not only my husband,  but also others.

This article originally appeared as a guest post on Satisfaction Through Christ on July 18, 2014.
 
Blessings,

Kelly
 
#ChristianLiving #marriage



10 comments:

  1. Stay blessed and thanks for sharing this at the #WWDParty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Antionette! Same to you! Thanks for allowing me to post on #WWDParty :)

      Delete
  2. New follower from Inspiring NH Kids if you would like to come and link up at www.inspiringnh.com wtih your favorite playdough recipe, we would love to have you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie, thanks for stopping by from Inspiring NH Kids. That sounds like a great idea...I have been wanting to try out some playdough recipes with my boys, they love playdough!

      Delete
  3. We don't pray aloud with each other. I actually don't even pray aloud myself. This is something I'll have to think about....:)

    Swinging by from Mommy Monday hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey LB Present, thanks for stopping by from Mommy Monday hop! Yes this is an idea that hit my heart and I had to share. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing ..... praying together aloud just isn't in our comfort zone right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianna, I totally get and respect that. Praying in quiet is good also. I did that for many years and God always hears our prayers, quiet or aloud. My husband is in school now to become either a missionary or a pastor, so I know I am going to have to get comfortable praying aloud with others. Thanks for commenting and hope you have a great week :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Kelly, so glad you were at the Missional Call link-up. Your article touched my heart. I would love to talk with you about prayer if you would ever want to chat sometime. Just remember that no two people pray alike. It is your heart God is listening to...you can't mess up prayer. Just speak what is in your heart. If you ever want to talk message me and I will give you my number. I love teaching about prayer and speaking on prayer. Maybe I can help! Many blessings...<><...cathyzpeek.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, that would be wonderful thank you! I would love to talk about prayer. My husband and I both really have felt the Lord calling us into leading a small group, and he is actually in school now to become a pastor or missionary. I'm glad that you enjoyed my article. It is very true. No two people pray the same way and God speaks to each of us in the way that we will hear Him. This was just on my heart and I had to write about it! Thanks for commenting and have a blessed week! Look forward to talking to you soon :)

      Delete