Thursday, May 1, 2014

How to be a Team Player in Your Marriage

http://www.satisfactionthroughchrist.com/2014/05/how-to-be-team-player-in-your-marriage.html
The first two pieces of scripture that come to mind when I think about marriage are Genesis 2:18, "The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him” and Colossians 3:18-19, "Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.  Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.”  


Yes, ladies we were created to be a helper to our husbands and to be submissive.  Key words in there are suitable and fitting in the Lord.  It is pleasing to the Lord when we are good helpers to our husbands.  Gentlemen, you are not off the hook here!  It is also written that you love your wife and do not be harsh with her.  Husbands were designed to be the protectors.  You are not only to protect your wife and marriage, but your family, children, and home.  Being submissive sounds easy now, right!  In this, God created a holy union of equal partners.  We each have different jobs and duties as a husband and wife, but we all play for the same team: God’s team.
 
Everyone’s marriage works differently.  Not to say that each spouse should have his or her own list of duties, but there should be a balance in a marriage.  If your husband is working late to make extra money for the family, take out the trash, even if it is usually his job.  If your wife has been at home with the kids all day and has to run to a church meeting right after dinner, help her out and have the dishes done when she gets back home.  Helping each other is what we were designed to do.  If we help each other, there is more time for fun and there is less chance of an argument.
 
A good idea is to try new things together.  For example, last year I volunteered not only myself, but also my husband to be preschool VBS teachers.  It was six nights in a row and almost three hours a night.  We could have easily dropped our children off, but we wanted to be there and participate.  My husband just didn't know how much he would be participating!  At the end of the week, something spectacular happened: he thanked me.  He said he would have had no idea how much work was involved and wouldn’t understand why I would be exhausted if he hadn’t have participated.  There’s God if you ask me!  We even signed up again this year and we are excited!
My husband is getting into hunting lately.  He has gotten his certifications and is starting to build his attire of clothing and equipment.  I am a big fan of the movie, “Bambi” and I’m not really keen on the idea of him shooting an animal.  In some parts of the country it is a necessity, but I am a Jersey girl; I am used to going to the store for my meat.  I love my husband though so I am supporting him in this, and maybe I will learn something, too!
 
In what ways do you show your husband or wife how much they mean to you?  Do you feel like you are being a team player in your marriage?  I hope this gave you some ideas on how to embrace the mate that God designed us each to be.  If I can answer any questions for you please leave me a comment or let me know of a time you did something extraordinary for your spouse.
This post originally appeared on Satisfaction Through Christ on 5/1/14.


 

#marriage






 


 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your guest post! Pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Betsy! I am glad you enjoyed the post and pinned it! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing - I commented on the post where the full article was. I really liked this article and shared it on my Facebook page, Being the Imperfect Mom. By the way - you Facebook link over on the left is broken.

    Thanks for sharing with #smallvictoriessundaylinky !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting in both areas! I am glad you enjoyed the article and thank you for sharing it on your Facebook page! Thanks for letting me know about the Facebook link; I fixed it :)

      Delete