Friday, May 9, 2014

A Daughter's Lessons

 
           I noticed something this last weekend.  You are never to old to need your Mom or your Dad, even when you become a Mom or a Dad!  We had some car trouble, and we had to call my husband's parents for help.  I am grateful that they are always there for us.  I have been extremely blessed to have them in my life. 
 
         My parents separated when I was about twelve years old, but I am blessed here also because my Mom and Dad have always been there for me and my family as well.  No matter what the situation, things that have been said, or feelings that have been hurt we always seem to be able to forgive each other. 
 
       This being said and it being Mother's Day weekend, I wanted to express two things that my Mom has taught me recently.  Yes, me being an adult with two children of my own, I am still learning from my parents!  My mother has taught me the unconditional love that God offers to us and how not to be in judgment, but to see things through Christ's eyes as He sees us.
 
      Everyone has a different perspective on things and we all learn differently.  Learning does not just mean academic learning but also learning how to be in the real world and how to function, communicate and be ourselves.  We all stumble and fall along the way.  My mother has taught me the unconditional love that Jesus has for us because she has watched three children learn, stumble and fall.  She has seen us in our worst and is still there with open arms, advice and to tell us everything is going to be okay.  I feel like this is how God loves us.  He sees us at our worst and still loves us. 
 
        I imagine all mothers are this way.  I know that there are days where my sons may be acting naughty but it is my job to not only love them but to discipline them.  There is a tough side to love and nothing hurts me more than to do this but I know for them to learn, I need to.  I am thankful for them and am blessed even on these days when I want to pull my hair out!  They have brought so much love into my heart and I would do anything for them. 
 
     The second lesson I have learned this week is to not pass judgment and honor others as they are.  My sons, mother and I were at the pool in our community last weekend and it was awful.  There were people there smoking, drinking and just acting foolish.  My first instinct was to leave with my sons but my mother realized the people there were being harmless to my children.  They were just enjoying what they considered to be a good time.  I could feel myself judging these people, which was wrong and my Mom quietly said to me, "Don't pass judgment."   
 
      In my early twenties, I could have easily been one of those people there at the pool "just having a good time."  It's very easy for us to forget how irresponsible we used to be.  Although I have always believed in Jesus, I have not always been saved nor been a parent.  I realized the best thing I could do for the people at the pool was not to judge them, but to pray for them.   
 
       I thought it was amazing how much my Mom knew me enough to say that simple sentence to me and how it would impact me.  Each parent knows their child at their best and at their worst and the best way to have them learn.  I hope that I can be as loving as my Mom is when she is trying to show me something, to my own children.   
    
      Children are blessings sent by God and I hope that God blesses you all this Mother's Day!  There are many situations where a child does not come to people biologically but that doesn't make them any less your child.  I know some people who have had to adopt and that is a blessing both ways because a child gets a loving home and the adoptive parents get to experience all the joy, love and insanity it is to be a parent.  Some people choose not to become parents because of either health or personal reasons.  God somehow still finds a way to bless these people by giving them lots of nieces and nephews!  Some people become parents by becoming a step-parent or a legal guardian.  Others of us spend long hours in labor or have a C-section.  Some of you are too young or have not found the right person yet to have children with.  I went to a church service a few years before I became a Mom and they said Happy Mother's Day to all the women, even the young women because they knew one day, God would somehow bless us with a child for us to become a mother.    However God has blessed you with your child or children or future children in your life, I wish you all a Happy and Marvelous Mother's Day! 
 
Blessings,
 
Kelly
 









 
#family
 





 


10 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day Weekend and thank you for linking up and sharing with us at the #WWDParty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and for letting me link up with my post! Happy Mother's Day to you as well :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing these lessons with us! And thanks for sharing at the WWDP this week! :) Be sure to link back to us, per our party rules, so that you can be featured. :) Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I linked back to WWDP and thank you for letting me post! I am still a new blogger so I am hoping I linked back the right way!

      Delete
  3. Thank you sooo much for sharing on Flaunt It Fridays. What a wonderful read! Thank you again! Hope to see you back this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicci, thanks for hosting Flaunt It Fridays and I hope to be back this week again :)

      Delete
  4. I love this post for a few reasons. First, we (as a society) do not show any respect for our parents. Really. There are a lot of lessons to be learned. How is anybody to know it all?

    Second, family is the most important thing. God created families to make us happy.

    With that said, I will end my comment.

    Thanks for linking up this beautiful post on the #homeschoollinkup. What a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you for your beautiful words! Yes, God did create families to make us happy and it is hard to see so much disrespect for parents. I was inspired by my Mom's actions and I hope I can be that inspiration to my sons. Thank you for hosting the #homeschoollinkup :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing with #smallvictoriessundaylinky. What a wonderful and encouraging relationship you and your mom share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting #smallvictoriessundaylinky, Tanya! My Mom is a special lady. I hope to be able to give my children the same advice and love she has shown me.

      Delete