Friday, April 4, 2014

Kid Friendly Easter Cards


Kid Freindly Easter Cards

Easter is a holiday filled with mixed emotions for me.  There is the sadness of Jesus dying on the cross for our sins.  The pain and agony He went through just so we could be forgiven.  I think of His friends and family watching helplessly as He was killed for being our Savior.
Three days later though as He proclaimed to his disciples, He rose from the dead.
“He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.” Luke 24:6-7
 
This is indeed a joyous occasion because what Jesus said was truth and He was the Messiah who was here to save Israel.  He was here to save all the people who believe in Him, from their sins to be reunited with him in heaven at their death.
When I was younger, I had one of my aunts make a huge impact on me.  She taught me the importance of sending thank you cards.  Unknowingly, she has made me the “Thank you Queen” as my family calls me affectionately.  I don’t think many people realize in this digital age, what it means to get a card from someone.  So with Easter coming up soon, I thought why not teach my sons the importance of sending a card to a loved one.
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. Psalm 136:1
First step is getting the area you want to be painting in covered with newspaper so it is easy clean up afterward!  Materials can vary from crayons, markers, paint or whatever you are comfortable with what your child is working with. (We used roller paint sticks that act like markers…again easy cleanup!)  Cut a piece of cardstock in half.

Fold the half of cardstock paper in half again to make a card.

My oldest who is almost five years old was able to make this cross with the roller paint sticks.

We added some Easter colors to the bottom and added the wording.  This is a very basic card but you can get as creative as you want!
I am planning to place some scripture inside and a nice picture of my sons.  My husband and I have a lot of family out of state and they enjoy getting the physical pictures in the mail of the boys.  It is wonderful to be able to make a relatives day by getting a homemade card and a picture.  It lets them know that they are important to you.
 
This is the children’s devotional, “Jesus Calling” by Sarah Young that we read in our homeschool day, so I opened it to the passage on Easter.
 
We read together as a family, this passage that covers Matthew 27-28 and Luke 24.  I think it is important for children to know why we celebrate Easter.  Much of this information in the passage went over my children’s heads because they are under the age of five but I think you can adjust this message accordingly, to how old your children are.  The pictures in the book are great to show younger children this message.
Thank you for joining us for this fun Easter craft!  Is there a special craft that you and your children like to work on at Easter?  Leave a comment.  I would love to hear from you! 

This post originally appeared as a guest post on Satisfaction Through Christ on April 4, 2014 here.

Blessings,
 
Kelly
 
#Easter #crafts













 

No comments:

Post a Comment