Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What if Someone called you a Hypocrite? Showing Your Faith Against Adversity

What if someone called you a Hypocrite? by: Raising Samuels
 Showing Your Faith Against Adversity
 
 
            The purpose of this article is not to get you upset.  It’s been something on my mind and I wanted to see how many people would be offended if they were called a hypocrite.  The definition of a hypocrite is “a person who claims or pretends to have certain beliefs about what is right but who behaves in a way that disagrees with those beliefs.” (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite)

            As some of you may know, I grew up with a faith based background with the belief in God but with no Word or scripture backing.  I spent most of my young adult life what I considered living.  When you are eighteen years old to probably about twenty four, you feel invincible.  Nothing is going to knock you down no matter what you do.  Although grateful for these years, I am glad now that they are behind me.  I spent a lot of time living for me, and not for God, even though I believed in Him. 

            When my husband and I reconnected a few years after high school, we were soon married and had a baby on the way and we were still living for ourselves.  It wasn’t until my oldest son was born, did I feel the need to change my ways.  I think that’s what happens when you become a parent.  All of a sudden, not everything is about you. 

            It was still a few years before I came to the point where I am in life.  We started to attend church more regularly but life was still not about the Lord.  God was not the focus and center of our life where He deserved to be.  We started to notice the more we attended church that the behaviors and lives of some of the people we surrounded ourselves with were not compatible anymore with where our life was headed. 

            It was not long, before some of our friends threw the word, “hypocrite” in our direction.  We were not living a bad life before.  We just were not living for Him.  Our friends started to notice a change in our life and some of them distanced themselves because they didn’t understand it and others saw the change was good, and didn’t like it. 

If someone sees that something changes for the good in your life and they are not happy for you, they are not a friend.   We went through a period of about 18 months, where thankfully we had the love and support of family, but my husband and I lost about every single person we had called a friend. This was no coincidence and I know that it was God clearing a path for us. 

It was extremely lonely during this time but God turned bad into good.  We started to develop genuine, real friendships at our church and amazing ministries have been blessed into our lives, including the Awanas ministry my sons love going to every week. They have started to make friends.  We are now a part of a community where we can talk and express ourselves and be unashamed about who our Creator is and who He made us to be.

Many Christians today are called supposed “hypocrites.”  There are hypocrites in every aspect of life, not just faith.  The Christian I am speaking about in this article is a person that is trying to do their best and have God as the center of their life.  The bottom line at the end of the day is we are all sinners.  As my pastor says, ”There is only one perfect person that ever lived and He died on the cross over 2,000 years ago for our sins.”  We can’t compare one sin to the next.  God sees it all as sin.  Even when we are trying our best, we sin.  The difference is a believer knows what they have done wrong and wants to repent and ask God for forgiveness.

Many people feel like they are too bad or have committed too much sin in their life to be loved by God.  They don’t understand that they can have faith and ask Jesus into their heart and turn their life around.  Some people turn their lives around for Christ.  I did.  Others, because they don’t understand, throw insults at people who are trying to lead a good life.  There is still hope for these people as well.  Jesus says in John 6:37, “All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.”

The best thing you can do for a person who has called you a nasty name or been hurtful to you because of your faith is pray for them.  We love because God first loved us and we even need to love the person hurting us.  On the more positive side of this, the next time someone calls you a “hypocrite” because of your faith, smile and have your actions, and not your words show this is not the case. 

Living for Him,

Kelly













 




 

           

 


3 comments:

  1. Being called a hypocrite would not be a complement to me, I probably would take offense. But you've raised a good point that we need to act by example rather than arguing the point with someone (who may very well be s hypocrite in some aspect of his life). I know I am not perfect, far from it and I hope I dont pretend to be. Interesting post, thanks for sharing with my Small Victories Sunday linky. I hope you link up 3 posts next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanya! I am enjoying linking up on Small Victories Sunday and getting the chance to know fellow bloggers and their perspectives. Yes, this has been on my heart to post about. It was a very hard time in our life and I just wrote about it to encourage someone who may be dealing with the same issue.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete