Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remembering 9/11...

I was in high school when 9/11 happened.  I remember seeing it in on our morning show on the TV and all of us just thinking that is a sick joke, thinking that someone was playing around with the audio equipment because it was just a quick glimpse and then it went back to the morning show.  I was walking into third period and opening the door as the second plane crashed into the WTC.  I immediately fell to my knees, realizing that this was not a joke but very, VERY real.  I was a TA for one of the coaches and he and another one of my teacher's was in there watching the news on the TV just in disbelief.  I will never forget what my teacher said: "Hold your loved ones extra tight tonight."

My husband and I were dating at this point in high school and we found each other and I just remember being terrified.  We didn't know if this would start a war or have him be drafted as we had heard so many stories about WWI and WWII and young men being drafted and sent off.  We didn't even know what and if tomorrow would be bring.  I remember not being able to reach my Dad on his cell phone because he lives up north and all the cell phones were so busy that you couldn't reach anyone.  I remember friends and classmates who had family and friends who lived up north that they could also not reach and later on finding out, that some of them passed from the attacks.

It's been 12 years now since that happened and I still remember it like it was yesterday.  I went on to graduate high school and college.  I became a wife and a mother; two things I am so incredibly grateful to God and to the military for.  I pray for the families that lost someone special that day.  Today we honor and remember all the lives lost; to all the people just going to school or work that day and to all the heroes who risked their lives to save others.  I truly respect all these heroes and military who continually fight for our freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment